In Texas is there a cap on child support? Online says it's 20% of gross income but my boyfriend says it's only up to $1500?

Plano, TX |

I am a single mother that will be seeking child support for 1 child.

The Texas Family Code states that the percentage guidelines apply in situations where the obligor (the one paying the child support) has up to $7,500 in monthly net resources. Since 20% of $7,500 equals $1,500 in monthly child support, this would mean that $1,500 would be the cap. However, the Family Code also states that if the obligor's net resources exceed the $7,500, the court shall first apply the percentage guidelines to the first $7,500 earned, and then order additional child support as appropriate, depending on the income of the parties and the proven needs of the child. As you can see, if an obligor makes more than $7,500 per month, the court has discretion on how much additional child support to order above the $1,500. It is important to note that if the court does indeed order additional support, the obligor can never be ordered to pay more than what is needed to take care of the child. In other words, the court will not allow an obligee to "profit" from a wealthy obligor so long as the proven needs of the child are taken care of.

Child support topics

Recommended articles about Child support