In Texas is the landlord responsible for paying the cost for bed bug removal?

Houston, TX |
Filed under: Landlord-tenant law

We have been living In our apt almost a year when my husband found a bed bug. He immediately searched the whole room and they were all found in our kids room none of the other rooms had any. When we first moved here we didn't have much furniture because we were living in a 1 bedroom with 2 kids. All of the furniture in our apt is brand new it was delivered the day of our move in and my kids furniture my husband purchased 2 months after bunk beds brand new right out of the box. We kept the mattresses in plastic because of my daughter wet the bed sometimes at night. When I first told the leasing agent which was the next morning she immediately said that we were responsible for bringing them there. We are from Louisiana and we don't have any family members or friends that visit. HELP!

1. Check under 'Health and Safety' and 'If you have Problems' at https://www.oag.state.tx.us/consumer/tenants.shtml

In most states the LL is absolutely responsible to take action to exterminate bed bugs and to pay for it unless LL can show that a particular tenant introduced the BB to the property.

Additionally, you can take notify housing code enforcement--they can cite the LL for failing to take action.

Give a TX landlord tenant attorney a call--some offer free consultations--and discuss your situation and/or see if you qualify for free legal aid (Google 'Texas Legal Aid') call a couple organizations and discuss your scenario.

READ THIS BEFORE CALLING OR EMAILING ME: I am licensed in the Commonwealth of Virginia, addressing your issue does not create an attorney-client relationship and I AM NOT providing you legal advice. You should speak with an attorney to whom you have provided all the facts, before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. I am not obligated to answer subsequent emails or phone calls unless you have hired me. I wish you the best of luck with your situation.

2. The landlord is responsible. If you have sustained bed bug bites, you should retain a bed bugs lawyer by googling "bed bugs lawyer"....here, I did it for you... www.Bed-Bugs-Lawyer.com

John Lassen 1-877-252-4630

Landlord-tenant law topics