Skip to main content

In Texas how long are divorce papers good for?

Houston, TX |
Filed under: Family law

My wife and I have not lived together for over 3 years. I had my divorce papers filled out online and had my wife sign them 2 years ago. The papers are notorized already. Could I still file the same papers?

Attorney Answers 2

  1. Best answer

    Probably not, because these papers would need to relate to a specific, filed court case. I would assume that even if you filed for divorce a couple of years ago, but then didn't do anything else with the case, it's long since been thrown out, and I'm not really sure from what you said that you have ever even filed anything with a court to date. If you file the divorce petition after the signature date of these "papers" (I'm not sure whether you mean a waiver of service, an agreed divorcee decree, or both), you're going to need to first provide her with a copy of the current, filed petition, either by formal service of process or informally and get a waiver of service from her, and THEN obtain her signature on whatever court documents are involved.

  2. If everything is the same and she still agrees to all the terms then possibly, but with the passage of time you may want to update them.

    You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation since every case is different and not all information is relayed in an online question. The Law Office of Ophelia Bernal-Mora, P.A. is a family & criminal law firm located in Orlando, Florida, we invite you to contact us and welcome your calls at 407-377-6828. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.

Family law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics