In Texas can you get an ID card if you have warrants?

Baytown, TX |

I have some traffic ticket warrants from 2004 and I need to get a state issued ID. I know I need to take care of my warrants and I am working on that, but can I go into the DPS office to get an ID without getting arrested?

There is a good chance you will be arrested - especially if the warrants are local.

Cynthia Henley
713-222-1220

Thank you. Do you know of a way to get on a payment plan or what can be done to get the warrants off besides paying them in full? They are all for the City of Houston.

You will almost certainly be arrested. Hire a ticket attorney to post bonds on the warrants and handle your cases. This is probably cheaper than you think and will save you money in the long run.

Macy Jaggers's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Jaggers offers everyone a free consultation to discuss their case. Feel free to call her office at 214-365-9800 to make an appointment (phones are answered 24 hours) or visit her website at www.macyjaggers.com for more information about her services and recent victories.

You will likely be arrested if you go into a DPS office with warrants they are aware of. The best way to check if DPS has notice is to go to their website where courts report delinquent citations: http://www.texasfailuretoappear.com/search.php Be aware that sometimes the data online is inaccurate or behind schedule. Consult an attorney to get your issues cleared up.

Thank you. I went to that site and it states that there are no cases found.