In Texas, who can charge and prosecute a child molester?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Katy, TX

Can anyone other than the "victim" or the parent's of the "victim" in the case of a minor accuse or prosecute a "perpetrator" for child sex abuse?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Stephen Neil Foster

    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . Also, if you know that a child is being abused you are legally required to report it.

  2. Myron Gabriel Davis

    Contributor Level 5

    Answered . Anyone can report abuse, however, the decision to prosecute and pursue charges largely rest with the State, victim and/or parent and legal guardian. If the victim is old enough to understand and is competent to testify parental consent is not important.

  3. Karren Melinda Kenney


    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Anyone can report a crime to law enforcement. If you have reason to believe a child has been sexually abused, you need to report that immediately to avoid any other children being victimized. Law enforcement will definitely investigate.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,704 answers this week

3,130 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,704 answers this week

3,130 attorneys answering