In Texas, is the rate of child support based on net or gross salary and is there a cap if income is over $117,000 per year?

Houston, TX |

I know that child support in Texas is 20% for the first child and 5% for each child up to five children. My husband and I are having a noncontested divorce we are handling ourselves and we just need this one issue settled.

1. Net...sort of.

The standard child support guidelines apply to the first $6,000.00 of net resources per month. Net resources means all wage and salary income and other compensation for personal services, interest, dividends, royalty income, self-employment income and net rental income, LESS social security taxes and federal income tax withholding for a single person claiming one personal exemption and the standard deduction.

When net resources are above $6,000.00 per month, the court may determine (at its discretion) whether to set additional child support based upon the needs of the child.

Child support topics