In Texas, do you need permission from the biological father to adopt their child after married to the mother of the child?

My mothers current husband, whom I consider my father is trying to adopt me, but I'm being to,d that he can't because my biological father won't " sign the papers"? I'm guessing the adoption papers, allowing for the adoption to take place. Is this true? Is there a certain time to where he can adopt me without my biological fathers permission?

San Antonio, TX -

Attorney Answers (2)

Fran Brochstein

Fran Brochstein

Child Custody Lawyer - Houston, TX

He can adopt you without your bio. father's permission after you turn 18.

If bio. father won't voluntarily terminate his parental rights, it makes it much harder to terminate his parental rights. It's not impossible just much harder. Terminating a person's parental rights is permanent and considered severe so the judges only do this after much consideration. It can be done but the bio. parent is given every benefit of the doubt. Termination is a complex matter and cannot be adequately addressed in this small space.

Milton I. Fagin

Milton I. Fagin

Child Custody Lawyer - San Antonio, TX

Not unless the facts of your particular case would qualify for an involuntary termination of the parent child relationship which is the first step that mustbe completed before you qualify for an adoption in the state of Texas.

Related Topics

Mother's rights in child custody

Mother's rights covers the parental rights of the mother. These rights primarily relate to child custody, visitation, and child support.

Featured Legal Guides

Wendy J. Norman

Mothers’ Rights

by attorney

A mother has certain legal rights pertaining to her children. When a mother needs legal assistance with child custody, support, visitation or... more

Father's rights in child custody

Father's rights refers to the parental rights of the father, primarily child custody and visitation rights. Fathers sometimes also need to establish paternity.

Featured Legal Guides

Questions? An attorney can help.

Ask a Question
Free & anonymous.
Find a Lawyer
Free. No commitment.