In Texas, can acknowledging a debt and agreeing/making a payment to a collection agency re-age an old debt?

Asked over 1 year ago - Austin, TX

Portfolio Recovery Associates called my partner claiming he owed an old credit card debit made in Virginia past both Texas and Virginia statue of limitations of debt, 4 and 3 years respectively, and he acknowledged the debt and made a verbal agreement to make monthly installments with an initial one as well. He just assumed the debt was his, because his ex-wife made debt before they were legally divorced.
After realizing the mistake, we have contacted our bank to make sure no more future payments occur, and we have verbally asked for a debt validation and are sending out a request certified by mail too. Does the debt get re-aged because of these actions in Texas? If they can't validate, can they still sue and win due to some re-aging legality?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. David N. Smith

    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . More details are need to answer your questions. You should gather all relevant documents and go consult a consumer'r rights attorney.

    This answer is intended to be taken as general information and not as specific legal advice. You should always... more
  2. Michael Glynn Busby Jr.


    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . The statute of limitations runs from the date of the last payment or the transaction. If you just made payment, then you have 4 years to beat, if you are on the loan. If this was an ex-wife debt and he was never on the note, well then, no liability unless the decree says he is liable for her debt. Best to bring all your facts to attorney.

  3. Brian W. Erikson


    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . You are really going to need to have an attorney review the documents and the facts and circumstances. The particular wording, and the evidence of the dealings and transaction are important. It could be that the creditor violated the Fair Debt Collection Act or the Texas Consumer Protection Act.

    Good luck.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

22,953 answers this week

2,870 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

22,953 answers this week

2,870 attorneys answering