In Tennessee, how can you legally remove a person from a residence in which his deceased father was part owner with 2 siblings?

Asked over 1 year ago - Martin, TN

Residence was owned jointly by 3 siblings. One sibling, now deceased, was living in the residence with his son. After sibling died, son remains at residence and does not pay any bills. Also begins "repairs" and doesn't finish so house will not be suitable for selling. How can the other two siblings get him removed from house so it can be sold?

1. Gary Todd Dupler

Pro

2

Answered . I agree with both the responses given. Take the deed to a qualified real estate/probate attorney for a specific consultation. If you don't have access to a copy of the deed, secure one from the Register of Deeds in the county where the property is located (Weakley if it is in Martin). The type of ownership interest in the property will determine how complicated it will be to seek relief.

2. James P. Frederick

3

Answered . Your answer depends on how the property is titled. If it is joint tenants with rights of survivorship, then the son has no interest in the property at all, and he can be evicted. If it was as tenants in common, then the son may succeed to his father's interest in the property through probate. Most states presume that there is a tenancy in common, when the document does not specify the arrangement. I would have your deed reviewed by a lawyer to determine how best to proceed. You will want a lawyer to assist you with the eviction.

James Frederick

3. Celia R Reed

3

Answered . I agree with Attorney Frederick. If the property was jointly held, then the son needs to be given a notice to vacate and you will have to follow through with eviction. If the three siblings owned as tenants in common and the decedent was not married and did not have a will or other children, his son was inherit his interest. As a co-owner, he would be responsible to pay rent and his share of expenses and he could be removed through a partition action. You would need a lawyer to commence this type of litigation.