In sentencing, what normally happens to the trial exhibits? I am appealing.

I am appealing the decision in my felony DV case. The prosecutor entered as exhibits 2 weapons, one gun and one knife and these were not mentioned in trial, but they were brought in as exhibits (in a NJT) I know that for now I can't have weapons, but the judge gave it to my accuser, even though I said I didn't want that. I had arranged to sell it, because I am broke from this trial, but my accuser will never give me the money if he sells it. Is this fair, because the judge asked what I wanted done with it, and then ignored my reply..

Seattle, WA -

Scott Jeffrey Engelhard

Scott Jeffrey Engelhard

Criminal Defense Attorney - Seattle, WA

If the weapons are jointly owned, I think that the judge has discretion to return them to the accuser. Otherwise, you should ask you appellate lawyer to consider adding this as an issue on appeal.

Alan James Brinkmeier

Alan James Brinkmeier

Lawsuit / Dispute Attorney - Chicago, IL

I'm afraid nobody can give you a good answer to this question. It's up to the judge

Good luck to you.

God bless.

NOTE: This answer is made available by the out-of-state lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney that practices in the subject practice discipline and with whom you have an attorney client relationship along with all the privileges that relationship provides. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question.