In regards to the majority age for immigration purposes why is it 21 and not 18 years old?

An American citizen can sponsor relatives after turning 21, why not 18? Also, Can the citizen petition 6 months before he turns 21 if there is a co-sponsor (income related)? Thanks

Los Angeles, CA -

Giacomo Jacques Behar

Giacomo Jacques Behar

Immigration Attorney - San Diego, CA

That's the way it is. 21 and not 18. Most likely based on the same principle of the drinking age, due to the fact that our founders did not deem 18 years of age (as opposed to 21) to be a mature enough age for drinking hard liquor. The Immigration rules must have followed the same tradition and principles and also raise the bar for sponsoring to 21.

No, the USC CANNOT sponsor 6 months prior. In fact, can only sponsor at the age of 21, AND ONE (1) DAY. (Please don't ask me why..)

Myself and my staff stand ready to assist you with all your immigration needs.

J Charles Ferrari

J Charles Ferrari

Immigration Attorney - Los Angeles, CA

Because that is what Congress decided.

F. J. Capriotti III

F. J. Capriotti III

Immigration Attorney - Portland, OR

Ask your representative in the US House of Representatives and Senate ... they made the law that limits the sponsorship right to 21.

Franco Capriotti - Senior Legal Counsel - Capriotti International Law – 503-803-0055
SKYPE CONSULTATIONS AVAILABLE - franco@capriotti.com - www.capriotti.com
We are not geographically limited ==> Our licenses allow us to represent people worldwide.

Payam Yazdani

Payam Yazdani

Immigration Attorney - Columbus, OH

That is what Congress decided.

Payam Yazdani, Esq.
Bloomfield & Kempf, LLP
(614) 592-7827
www.pyazdani.com

Otis Carl Landerholm

Otis Carl Landerholm

Immigration Attorney - Oakland, CA

My colleagues are right.

Emily Katherine Allen

Emily Katherine Allen

Immigration Attorney

Ask Congress.