In regards to the majority age for immigration purposes why is it 21 and not 18 years old?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Los Angeles, CA

An American citizen can sponsor relatives after turning 21, why not 18? Also, Can the citizen petition 6 months before he turns 21 if there is a co-sponsor (income related)? Thanks

1. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

13

2

Best Answer

Answered . That's the way it is. 21 and not 18. Most likely based on the same principle of the drinking age, due to the fact that our founders did not deem 18 years of age (as opposed to 21) to be a mature enough age for drinking hard liquor. The Immigration rules must have followed the same tradition and principles and also raise the bar for sponsoring to 21.

No, the USC CANNOT sponsor 6 months prior. In fact, can only sponsor at the age of 21, AND ONE (1) DAY. (Please don't ask me why..)

Myself and my staff stand ready to assist you with all your immigration needs.

2. J Charles Ferrari

11

Answered . Because that is what Congress decided.

3. F. J. Capriotti III

11

Answered . Ask your representative in the US House of Representatives and Senate ... they made the law that limits the sponsorship right to 21.

Franco Capriotti - Senior Legal Counsel - Capriotti International Law – 503-803-0055
    SKYPE CONSULTATIONS AVAILABLE - franco@capriotti.com - www.capriotti.com
    We are not geographically limited ==> Our licenses allow us to represent people worldwide.

4. Payam Yazdani

10

Answered . That is what Congress decided.

Payam Yazdani, Esq.
    Bloomfield & Kempf, LLP
    (614) 592-7827
    www.pyazdani.com

5. Otis Carl Landerholm

Pro

8

Answered . My colleagues are right.

6. Emily Katherine Allen

9

Answered . Ask Congress.