In regards to strength of defense how important is it that an officer didn't witness an alleged act?

Asked over 1 year ago - San Diego, CA

I was walking to school holding my skateboard when suddenly an officer called me over and gave me a ticket claiming that I violated S.D.M.C. 84.12 (C).

How much of a defense do I have?

1. Thomas Anthony Schaeffer

7

Answered . If the Officer didn't witness the offense, and he doesn't have anyone else who will testify that you violated the statute, then I'd say you have a very strong defense to the charge. I wonder why you think he ticketed you without seeing it?

2. Sanders Baker Patton

5

Answered . As attorney Schaeffer indicated, without a witness to the alleged violation, you have a strong defense. If you are concerned about the potential punishments for this citation, it would be a good idea to contact an attorney to discuss the situation in more detail.

3. William Peter Daley

4

Answered . I concur with the others, if there are not witnesses to the act, the only possible evidence would be circumstantial. Did someone else see you crossing against “Don't Walk” signal?

4. David Philip Shapiro

Pro

3

Answered . Potentially a good one. Consider hiring a locally experienced attorney to fight this for you.

Law Offices of David Shapiro 3555 4th Avenue San Diego, CA 92103 (619) 295-3555