In regards to defereed action, I do not have a GED or diploma. but Currently in College

Asked almost 2 years ago - Santa Fe, NM

ive taken some of the GED tests but i am not ready to take all. I currently attend Community college. I will take the final GED exam (math) when I am ready. Would I qualify under the "currently in school" requirement? Also, I have the 245I documentation (filed in 1997). If I get denied for Defereed Act. , can this have a negative effect if i ever attempt to adjust my status via marriage? with the use of my 245I? I know I have 245I because I am the beneficiary of a previous petition (1998) and my siblings have since married and adjusted their status in months. I am also looking for an attorney to take on my case, especially because I had 2 traffic tickets that I did not pay until 4 years later. (driving without a license).Paid all tickets sorry for the typos :) thank u for your time

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Rebecca Saldana

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You will qualify for deferred if you are currently enrolled. Resolve your ticket situation as you do not want warrants at the time you apply.

  2. F. J. Capriotti III

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Currently in a GED program is good.

    Your 'disregard' for the law and the court system can be a problem.

    Meet with an attorney at

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It... more
  3. Ala M. Hamayel

    Contributor Level 16

    Answered . I agree with my colleagues.

    This information is intended as general information only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

32,007 answers this week

3,345 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

32,007 answers this week

3,345 attorneys answering