In RE transaction, agent tells listing agent that buyer agrees to close on house even after low appraisal comes in. Binding?

Asked about 1 year ago - Columbia, SC

I am RE broker and personally owned 2 houses which I placed on market for sale. Another agent procured sales agreements on both houses (same buyer) with a reduced price for buying both houses. One of the houses' appraisal came in under purchase price. Buyer's agent communicated verbally to me that despite low appraisal the buyer planned to close anyway even if he had to pay additional sums out of pocket. Closing date same for both properties. He closed on one house and his daughter moved in. His agent stated at closing that he would be closing the 2nd house in a week or two. Daughter unhappy with house she moved into; claims inspector missed items. Buyer seeing that his daughter was unhappy then failed to close on the 2nd house. Contract binding?

1. Stephan Victor Futeral

1

Answered . No. Contracts for the sale of land in SC must be in writing (Statute of Frauds). However, if your written RE contract had no contingency regarding appraisal value, then the written agreement is enforceable.

2. Stephen Ross Cohen

2

Answered . Show the contract to an attorney there. No one can guess what is in it.

3. Christopher Daniel Leroi

Answered . You need to schedule an appointment to have an attorney review the contract.