In process of divorce, my husband is now claiming disability so will I have to pay him alimony?

Asked over 1 year ago - Tracy, CA

He was the main income earner and I worked part time to take care of the kids.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Adam Nathan Gurley

    Contributor Level 10

    Answered . Possibly, but unlikely. He will likely get disability income greater than your income. Hence, as his income is likely to still be higher, you unlikely will pay spousal support.

  2. Martha Bronson

    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . Paying support depends upon a lot of factors, including length of marriage and income of the respective parties, to name a few of many. Counsel needs this, and other, information to give you a general response. Generally speaking, it is possible you coul be ordered to pay support, but whether your situation calls for it something you should contact a family law attorney about to give all the pertinent information to get a reliable response. If you have found this helpful and/or the best answer, please relay that information to the attorney by checking on the appropriate box below. It will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

    Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on, as each situation is... more

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Divorce court

Divorce court is where the divorce process takes place. The court may determine matters like alimony, child custody, and property division.

Avvo Staff

An Overview of Divorce Court Fees

Just as each state has its own requirements to successfully file for divorce, each state also has its own types of fees and rules for when they will be applied. You may find this overview... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,180 answers this week

3,235 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,180 answers this week

3,235 attorneys answering