In practice, do prosecutors treat two addicts doing drugs together and one buying drugs different from a buyer-seller situation?

Asked 10 months ago - Chicago, IL

A and B shoot heroin together but A meets up with their dealer on Day 1 vs.

A sells B heroin for profit.

In law, it is distribution but do prosecutors generally look at scenario 1 more with a possession viewpoint.

1. Alan James Brinkmeier

4

Answered . Some may and some may not.

The prosecutor has sole discretion

2. Bruce E. Burdick

Pro

1

Answered . I don't see in your hypo where B is distributing, but seems A is distributing in both scenarios. It's called "distributing" not "selling for profit". The prosecutor will evaluate each case to do justice in the prosecutor's mind. Some are strict, some are lenient. Depends on many things: their caseload, their political ambitions, the recalcitrance of the defendant, the skill of the defense attorney, etc.