In pennsylvania does an employer have to pay a terminated employee earned vacation pay

Asked over 5 years ago - Philadelphia, PA

I was recently terminated from my job that I had for over a year. Does my former employer have to pay me accrued and unused vacation time?

1. Harold Mark Goldner

Answered . Your prior employer has to pay you for any accrued paid time-off in accordance with their policies for handling paid time off. Some employers provide that PTO is paid after termination if termination is not for certain types of reasons (employee theft, etc.), others provide that no PTO is paid, regardless of the reason for termination.

If under the employer's policy for PTO you would have been entitled to the PTO, then the employer must pay you within two weeks of the last pay period following your termination or it is a violation of the PA Wage Payment Collection Law.

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

• 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now