Skip to main content

In PA, can a M1 misdemeanor be expunged through the expungement process or would I neeed to go to the board of pardons?

Hatfield, PA |

I was sentenced with this charge, along with other summary charges 11 years ago and was wondering if I should go through the expungement process or go to the board of pardons? Also, If I go to the board of pardons can the board clear me of my summary charges as well or is the board just for misdemeanors?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. If convicted you cannot expunge and would have to apply for a governor's pardon

  2. In Pennsylvania, convictions or pleas to misdemeanors offenses cannot be expunged prior to the individual attaining 70 years of age. Your only option is to seek a governor's pardon. This is a lengthy process and it is advisable to hire a criminal attorney with experiece in this area to assist you. If the Governor grants the pardon, the entire case including the summaries can be expunged.

  3. If you were convicted you cannot get an expungement for the M1. However, you can get a pardon. As for the summary offenses you might be able to get those expunged, prior to the pardon. For an expungement is a lot faster than a pardon.

    Attorney Michael Kotik, Esq.
    Two Penn Center (Philadelphia)
    1500 John F. Kennedy Blvd., Suite 220
    Philadelphia, PA 19102
    (267) 265-4553 (Phone) (Email)

    Answers are not of fact, but rather the opinion of the attorney answering the questions asked. At no time does this answer create an attorney-client relationship. To the extent that these answers may become available to the general public there is no confidentiality as it pertains to this answer or question. The law changes frequently, and the material on this website is for general information purposes only and neither constitutes nor is intended to be legal advice. Prior to acting based upon this general information you SHOULD seek legal counsel regarding your specific legal matter. The outcome of every case is dependent on the specific facts and legal circumstances of each individual case. This website is not an offer to represent you, which can only be made after a consultation with one of the attorneys from The Lawyer answering this question does not intend to practice in any other jurisdictions where it is not licensed. Attorney is Licensed in Pennsylvania and New Jersey. The firm does not seek to represent anyone viewing this website in other jurisdictions, and the website may not comply with the laws and ethical rules of states other than Pennsylvania and New Jersey. If you have any questions please contact my office at 215-564-1010. Lawyer Michael Kotik | | 1500 John F. Kennedy Blvd., Suite 220. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 19102

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics