Skip to main content

In Oregon what age can a child make the choice to live with the non-custodial parent?

Portland, OR |

If child wants to live with the other parent what is necessary to do so.

Attorney Answers 2


How old is the child?

The court will start to listen to a child's preference of living situation around age 12. Are there allegations of abuse or neglect by the custodial parent?

If you are serious about modifying your custody and parenting order, you should consult with an experienced family law attorney and get a more comprehensive opinion.

Mark as helpful

2 found this helpful


A child cannot make such a decision. Both parents can agree and if so the agreement should be reflected in a modification of the existing judgment. If the parents don't agree, this can only happen through a custody modification. The child can get a voice through a custody evaluation, through an attorney appointed for the child or (as a last resort) by testifying to the court. In any case, please see an experienced family law attorney as soon as possible to get further guidance.

Mark Kramer
Kramer & Associates

Mark as helpful

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics