In order to apply for the dream act do you need to be in school or have a GED?

Do we have to be studying while we apply for the dream act or have a certificate like a GED?

La Puente, CA -

Attorney Answers (4)

Alexander Joseph Segal

Alexander Joseph Segal

Immigration Attorney - New York, NY

Yes. For more information, please look below:
They actually did a good job of explaining this very question on the GOv. website. All you need is read.

Sanjay Augustine Paul

Sanjay Augustine Paul

Immigration Attorney - Pasadena, CA

If you graduated high school, you don't need to do anything. If you did not graduate high school, you need to be enrolled into a GED program and you can apply while you are enrolled; you don't need to complete it before applying. If you have already completed your GED, you are also eligible to apply.

Also, the program is officially called "Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals" - not the Dream Act.

Best of luck,

-Sanjay A. Paul, Esq.
(626) 993-6725

This is not legal advice. No attorney client relationship exists between us.
Dhenu Mitesh Savla

Dhenu Mitesh Savla

Immigration Attorney - Chicago, IL

A certificate or high school diploma is fine. You don't have to be in school.

Dhenu Savla, Esq.
SwagatUSA, LLC

This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not meant to be relied upon as legal advice.
Christopher Paul Bellmore

Christopher Paul Bellmore

Criminal Defense Attorney

You must be in school or have graduated from school. A GED counts. GED classes count. You will need to show evidence of enrollment in an education if you are in school/classes, or you will need to show evidence that you graduated/completed a program.

Related Advice

Questions? An attorney can help.

Ask a Question
Free & anonymous.
Find a Lawyer
Free. No commitment.