In order to apply for the dream act do you need to be in school or have a GED?

Asked almost 2 years ago - La Puente, CA

Do we have to be studying while we apply for the dream act or have a certificate like a GED?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. 4

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Yes. For more information, please look below:
    They actually did a good job of explaining this very question on the GOv. website. All you need is read.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866)... more
  2. 1

    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . If you graduated high school, you don't need to do anything. If you did not graduate high school, you need to be enrolled into a GED program and you can apply while you are enrolled; you don't need to complete it before applying. If you have already completed your GED, you are also eligible to apply.

    Also, the program is officially called "Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals" - not the Dream Act.

    Best of luck,

    -Sanjay A. Paul, Esq.
    (626) 993-6725

    This is not legal advice. No attorney client relationship exists between us.
  3. 2

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . A certificate or high school diploma is fine. You don't have to be in school.

    Dhenu Savla, Esq.
    SwagatUSA, LLC

    This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not meant to be relied upon as legal advice.
  4. 1

    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You must be in school or have graduated from school. A GED counts. GED classes count. You will need to show evidence of enrollment in an education if you are in school/classes, or you will need to show evidence that you graduated/completed a program.

Related Topics

Deferred action

Deferred Action is a policy that allows qualifying immigrants to receive employment authorization and have removal proceedings delayed.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

32,754 answers this week

3,674 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

32,754 answers this week

3,674 attorneys answering