In Ohio is there a manner in which a landlord provide lease renewal/modification? Mail or personally?

Columbus, OH |

Office claims to have mailed lease renewal/modification in November

1. I do not believe Ohio law dictates the manner of renewing a lease. I suggest looking at your lease (or former lease) and checking to see if it specifies the manner by which a lease is renewed.

I am licensed attorney in Ohio & Kentucky. Posting a response to your question or issue does not create an attorney-client relationship and I am not providing you legal advice. Every case is fact specific; therefore my response should not be construed as a legal opinion. You should speak with an attorney who is licensed in your state to whom you have provided all the facts, before you take steps that may impact your legal rights or right to recover damages. This communication does not create an attorney-client relationship with Joseph L. Beyke or Mills, Mills, Fiely & Lucas, LLC.

2. I agree with counsel, this should be dictated by the terms of your lease. I once had a case where someone renewed orally, but the lease required the renewal to be in writing. This issue went to trial. Be very careful or be VERY careful. If you are concerned, send it in writing by ordinary mail, certified mail, email, and hand deliver. If you have no concerns, I would send by ordinary mail. Maybe ask the landlord to sign a confirmation of renewal or something showing all is well. Good luck.

The above information is not, nor intend to be, legal advice. You SHOULD consult an attorney for specific advice regarding your individual situation. Based on this response no attorney-client relationship has been formed. If your matter is in Cuyahoga County or surrounding counties, we invite you to contact us. Please visit our website at www.kirnerandboldt.com. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information until such time and attorney-client relationship is formed. Attorneys in this firm are only licensed to practice in the state of Ohio and have no specific information as to the laws and rules of other states and none of the information provided is intended to be applied to the laws of other states.