In Ohio if you are on Medicaid and inherit a rental property does this automatically make you ineligible for Medicaid?

Asked over 1 year ago - Massillon, OH

If you are on disability, SSI and VA disability and are unable to work does inheriting real estate automatically make you ineligible for Medicaid or is there some kind of formula that is applied to determine continued eligibility? Thanks.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Clifford Michael Farrell

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Not clear what you are getting moneywise here. It depends on whether you are getting SSI or SSDI, nd whether the VA IS compensation (service connected disability) or pension (non-service connected disabilities), and how much of each. But that info should not be posted here either.

    Depending on what benefits you get, inhereiting real estate does not automatically make you ineligible. If you live in an apartment and inherit a house that becomes your main residence, it probably has little effect. But, if you own a home and really get SSI (not SSDI), then inheriting a house will impact your benefits.

    That's about the best answer I can give you with the information here. Consider talking to a legal aid attorney in your area and asking some basic questions about your situation - they are usually happy to help and most legal aid offices handle medicaid issues.

    Good luck to you!

    The exact answers to questions like this require more information than presented. The answer(s) provided should... more
  2. David J. McCormick

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . Contact your local Legal Aid office. They should be able to help you out.

    Good luck.

    DISCLAIMER: David J. McCormick is licensed to practice law in the State of Wisconsin and this answer is being... more
  3. Robert C. Alston

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . If you are asking about being able to continue to get Medicaid, then you should check with the state of Ohio. While it is a federal program, it is administered by the states and they make the eligibility determination.

    Actual legal advice can only be provided by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction, with experience in the area... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,625 answers this week

2,592 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,625 answers this week

2,592 attorneys answering