In ohio how long does an employer have to pay an employee after they are terminated.

Brunswick, OH |

I was told my service was no longer needed and would be paid on our normal pay date which will not be for another 10 days.

Under Ohio law, an employer is required to pay wages at least semimonthly. Wages must be paid on or before the 1st and the 15th for wages earned during the preceding half-month period. Therefore, if you were terminated on the 5th, your employer must pay you the wages you have already earned no later than the 15th. There is no exception in the case of a termination.

If you are not paid within 30 days after the normal pay date or are paid any less than your agreed upon wages, you may want to contact an attorney. Otherwise, it appears your employer is acting appropriately.

No attorney-client relationship implied or accepted without a signed fee agreement. This response is theoretical only and for purposes of discussion. Attorney is not liable for any opinion expressed herein. Attorney is licensed in Ohio only.

I agree with Alex. As long as your "normal" pay was at least semi-monthly, your employer can have your final paycheck processed with the regular payroll.

Recommended articles about Employment