In Ohio, can the magistrate implement Temporary Orders that exceed my financial means?

Asked 10 months ago - Lewis Center, OH

I was ordered to vacate the marital home and to continue to pay the full mortgage during the proceedings. The mortgage ($1600), rent on an apt($1000), and daycare for the kids($800),exceeded my take home pay, requiring the use of credit for living expenses.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. 1

    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . If you are not currently represented by an attorney in your divorce proceeding, I would urge you to hire one immediately, for the exact reason you describe. Your rights need to be protected and advocated for in this context, and if the temporary orders are not sustainable for you, your attorney will be able to file and motion and request a hearing that effect. If you have an attorney currently, I encourage you to contact him or her and discuss the financial hardship immediately, and if you are not happy with the representation you are receiving, do not be afraid to seek new counsel. There is too much at stake to delay, so do not hesitate to act to protect yourself and your financial situation. Good Luck.

    DISCLAIMER: Confidential Information should not be shared on the internet. Anonymous posts can be traced back... more
  2. 1

    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Absolutely. It happens every day. You have the right to object to the courts decision. Good luck.

    The above information is not, nor intend to be, legal advice. You SHOULD consult an attorney for specific advice... more
  3. Answered . It is not a good ruling, but it is a result which I have seen far too many times. Be aggressive and hire strong legal counsel. Good Luck.

    The answers to questions provided in response to the request for assistance are general in nature, and reflect... more

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Divorce and family

Divorce and family covers several issues that can come up during the course of a divorce, such as continuing spousal health insurance.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

33,871 answers this week

3,697 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

33,871 answers this week

3,697 attorneys answering