In Ohio, can an Employer legally forbid an employee who possesses a concealed carry permit, from having a weapon in their car.

Asked over 1 year ago - Mentor, OH

in the State of Ohio, can an employer legally forbid an employee who possesses a concealed carry permit, from having a loaded handgun, properly holstered and concealed in his private vehicle, in a company parking lot?

1. Donald Michael Gallick

Pro

Best Answer

Answered . Ohio law on this has changed -- the CCW law has been amended multiple times since its adoption. Review the Ohio Attorney General's handbook on CCW laws. A close reading of this manual will reveal the AG's explanation regarding government parking lots versus private parking lots. If you receive any threats of criminal or civil action, please contact my office or another experienced Ohio attorney.

Ohio AG handbook link is attached below.

2. Rixon Charles Rafter III

Answered . I am NOT an Ohio attorney, but many states allow for private employers to restrict the presence of weapons on privately owned property (just as they are restricted on government property)--so don't thumb your nose at the company just yet.

Additionally, a "loaded" weapon in the vehicle violates many states requirements.

You really should chat directly with an Ohio attorney to ensure you're within your rights re the company policy and OH law enforcement.

3. Sean Patrick Lewis

Answered . On private property, they can probably restrict you. Please consult an Ohio attorney to be sure. Either park off property, or don't bring the gun on property, for now. Keep in mind that it is possible for someone to break into the car and steal it. So, the less people know about it, the better.