Skip to main content

In Ohio, can a non custodial parent take a child out of state on vacation without the custodial parent's permission?

Toledo, OH |

I have custody of my daughter. Her father wants to take her from Ohio, to Virginia for spring break.

Attorney Answers 2

  1. The answer depends on what your decree provides. Most decrees will provide that parents will provide the location where a child can be reached while traveling away from home on vacation or overnight with the other parent, and information about how travel is to be accomplished (flight numbers and name of airline, especially). Most decrees provide for regular telephone communication between children and the non-traveling parent. Some decrees prohibit travel out of state without permission, but unless the decree provides a bar to out-of-state travel, each parent can enjoy his/her vacation parenting time with a child where he/she wants.

  2. Attorney Graham-Hurd gave you a textbook perfect answer.

    Re-read your separation agreement, divorce decree and parenting plan (if you have one). It should be under the "parenting time" or "visitation schedule" section.

    Good luck

    This answer contains information intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above and may be protected by attorney-client privilege or work product doctorine. However, the mere receipt of this answer, alone, is not sufficient to create an attorney-client relationship. If the reader of this is not the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, any dissemination, publication or copying of this answerer is strictly prohibited. The sender does not accept any responsibility for any loss, disruption or damage to your data or computer system that may occur while using data contained in, or transmitted with, this answer. Should the reader have any questions please feel free to contact Attorney Kotler at or 330-777-0065 Thank you and please indicate if you found this answer and / or the link(s) helpful.