Skip to main content

In Obama's deferred action, would tax filings count as "financial records"?

Fresno, CA |

I can prove that I was under the age of 30 with my birth certificate. I can prove that I was here before the age of 16 with my school transcripts ('92-'10). Since I've been working since '10 til present, can I use my tax filing of '10 to '11 as evidence that I've been in the US? Would bank statements help prove that too?

Attorney Answers 6

  1. Yes. Your tax returns should be submitted. You should submitt additional evidence such as a letter from the employer, paystubs, monthly depoits.... ALL evidence that shows you were working in the USA.

  2. Yes

    More more info please see

    Neil I Fleischer (513) 977-4209 Note: Neil Fleischer is an attorney licensed in the State of Ohio The below answer is provided for informational use only. One should not act or refrain to act solely based on the information provided. No attorney/client relationship is created unless an Agreement is signed by the attorney and the client. Best regards, Neil Neil I Fleischer The Fleischer Law Firm, LLC 917 Main Street Cincinnati, Ohio 45202-1314 Direct telephone: 513 977 4209 Enjoy our Blog at

  3. Yes, you can provide taxes, bank accounts, insurance, pay stubs etc... as proof of physical presence in the US. Please have an Attorney review your documents and application before you submit the request after August 15.

    Morales Law Firm P.A. 2100 Coral Way Ste 703 Miami, FL 33145 (305) 851-7856 This response is not offered as legal advice, but is only a general informational response for public interest. No one reading this is authorized to claim that an attorney client relationship exists with this writer or the writer's law firm.

  4. Did your employers know that you were working without legal permission?

    Are you aware of the fact that they may be investigated for having hired someone without proper I-9 forms being prepared?

    Do these two questions give you good reasons to meet in private with an attorney?

    Franco Capriotti - Senior Immigration Counsel
    CAPRIOTTI INTERNATIONAL LAW -- 1-503-803-0055 --

    IMMIGRATION LAW PROFESSOR for 10 years -- LEGAL DISCLAIMER: This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.

  5. Hello,

    The documents you mention are among several items that can be used to prove your continuous residence. As you can tell from the prior responses, there are certain risks in submitting documentation acknowledging unlawful employment, however. Sometimes the lack of other options and the need for evidence outweigh those risks, and sometimes they do not.

    There are some deferred action outreach events in the Fresno area in the next couple weeks that likely will discuss at least some of these evidentiary issues. If you would like more information about them, you can e-mail me privately.

    Best wishes,

    Ms. Doerrie's answer to your question is general in nature, as not all facts and circumstances relating to the specific person(s) and situations involved are known to her. Ms. Doerrie recommends consulting with an immigration attorney regarding your specific facts and circumstances prior to making any legal decision or submitting any form or application. This response does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney/client relationship.

  6. I would encourage you to seek a consultation with any of the several lawyers on this forum. The fact is there are several ways to prove the elements required for DACA and you should make sure to have your bases covered before filing and risking denial or a hold-up in the process.

    I'm available to answer any questions via an appt.

    Best of luck,

    Sanjay Paul, Esq.
    (888) 373-2602

    This is not legal advice. No attorney client relationship exists between us.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics