Skip to main content

In NY state what does dental child support mean and what does uninsured bills pertain to.

Niagara Falls, NY |

I pay $650 a month to my ex wife in NYS. I am ordered to hold medical and dental through my employer, I am also ordered through our divorce to pay 50% uninsured medical and dental bills. My ex wife also chose to hold dental insurance, I am primary holder. Now my 15 year old daughter needs extensive dental work she has 18 teeth that are affected by cavities, My insurance pays 80% of silver fillings up to $1200. If she gets silver fillings I figure it would be about $200 each uninsured if she gets white we are looking at $2500 each uninsured. Do I have to pay for white fillings or will the court say she could get silver? I have joint custody, and support 2 other families, I don't have that extra around. Ex wife also wants to get her 10 veneers $10,000 do I have to pay have for that.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


You will have to have your child support order reviewed by a local attorney to be sure, but based upon the brief facts you've stated above, I do not believe the court would order you to pay for cosmetic dentistry that cannot really be seen, such as the fillings. The veneers may be another matter depending upon the condition of your daughter's teeth, and whether they serve a purely cosmetic purpose. I'm sure there a valid and potentially effective "best interests" arguments on both sides of that issue. Of course, you don't say say anything about the specific finances of the family, and that is going to be a big consideration.

You can search the attorney profiles here on Avvo for an attorney in your area. Contact two or three to compare costs and philosophical fit, then choose one and trust their judgment and advice. Good luck!

IMPORTANT LEGAL NOTICE: Ms. Brown’s response to the question above is not legal advice and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. All of Ms. Brown’s responses to questions posted on AVVO are intended as general information based upon the facts stated in the question, and are provided for educational purposes of the public, not any specific individual. If you would like to obtain specific legal advice about this issue, please contact an attorney in your state. Ms. Brown is licensed to practice law in New York. If you would like to contact her directly for a legal consultation, you may do so by calling 718-878-6886 during regular business hours, or anytime by email at:

Child support topics

Recommended articles about Child support

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer