In NY State, when a child reaches 21, do you have to petition the court to stop child support payments and change the order?

Asked over 3 years ago - Angola, NY

or can the support unit just stop the payments without going back to court?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Jon Michael Probstein

    Contributor Level 12

    Answered . As always, do not construe posts as legal advice but as "attorney advertising" and you should always consult with a lawyer on any legal matter.

    The original order ior orders should be reviewed first as it may have the answer. Consult with counsel or visit the NYS Court self-help section.

  2. David Alexander Browde


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . No, you should not have to petition the court...but the support enforcement unit isn't perfect in terminating payments. If it doesn't stop as it should first contact the unit, then you may have to petition the court.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,642 answers this week

3,230 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,642 answers this week

3,230 attorneys answering