In NY can an Employer legally have a policy which makes Employees pay for work place loss, i.e. cash, uncollected fees, etc.

New York, NY |

Can the Employer lawfully make this policy and make it a condition of employment?

1. No.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

2. This is a direct violation of Labor Law Section 193 which severely limits the types of deductions an employer can take and they are generally related to taxes and employee benefits. Plenty of information is available on the NYS DOL website.

3. Absolutely not.

Answers to questions posted on the AVVO website as well as content contained on The Sanders Firm, P.C., website is intended for informational purposes only. Nothing in such answers or the content contained on The Sanders Firm, P.C., website is to be considered as either creating an Attorney-Client relationship between the reader and The Sanders Firm, P.C., or as the rendering of legal advice for any specific matter. Readers are responsible for obtaining such legal advice in consultation with a licensed Attorney.