In NY, can you make a left turn if there is a double yellow line into a business, store etc?

Brooklyn, NY |

On a two way street that has a double yellow line , can you make a left hand turn into a business , store , private home , crossing over the double yellow line ? I have looked on the dv website and it appears you cannot cross into the other lane to pass a vehicle but not sure about making a left hand turn into a business ?

1. You cannot make a left over double yellow lines.

I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.

2. Yes you may under certain conditions. Vehicle and Traffic Law § 1126 [b] allows this per the Court of Appeals in a case a couple of years ago called People v Sykes which observed that making a left turn over the lines is legal.

If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice nor creates an attorney client relationship which requires all the details and a personal conference.