In Ny, can I provide a service..(as an independent contractor) In which I find legal services for prospective clients to a

White Plains, NY |

Lawyer? In other words..Simply put, is it legal for me acting as an independent contractor..To find and or connect a prospective client to a lawyer and charge some kind of fee (Agreed upon with the client). Some kind of paper contract written up and signed by me and the client simply stating that I will look and try to find them the correct lawyer, and right fit for whatever their specific needs are? Because, unfortunately..There is an underserved population and or people that are not aware of their rights and don't know how to find the correct/proper legal entity who will either A ) Represent them properly or B)Walk them through the correct legal proceedings. Example: employment discriminations, labor laws etc..Non english speaking population. It's not always easy finding lawyers

There is term for what you want to do. It is called "capping".
It is strictly forbidden.

The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advice" but analysis, and different lawyers may analyse this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am only licensed in California. See also avvo.com terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.

Andrew Lawrence Weitz

Andrew Lawrence Weitz

LA is a bit more elegant and eloquent than us New York folk. I like the symbolism of "capping." In New York it is called "chasing" or "being a runner," which is a disbarrable offense If a lawyer is complicit in the conspiracy.

Not legal in any state I am aware of. The underserved populations of which you speak are particularly vulnerable to being tricked and abused. Such a service, were it legal, would quickly devolve into a racket generating as much liability as opportunity.

NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. DO NOT RELY ON ANY ADVICE YOU RECEIVE FROM ME OR ANY OTHER ATTORNEY IN THIS FORUM. Legal advice comes after a complete review of the facts and relevant documents and an expressed (written) agreement of representation that forms attorney-client confidentiality. Neither of these two events can occur in this forum. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia and the US Federal Courts in Virginia. His answers to any Avvo question are rooted in general legal principles--NOT your specific state laws. There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising from this education exchange. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your state, to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Rafter is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this or any other matter.