In North Carolina, what is the law regarding recording another person's conversations to use as evidence against them?

Asked over 5 years ago - Hickory, NC

I work for the the city of Hickory, North Carolina, and some co-workers have threatened to use voice recorders against me. They say only one person has to be informed about the recorder, and that person can be the one with the recorder. I do not agree any help?

1. Alan James Brinkmeier

Answered . North Carolina makes it a crime to intercept or record any oral communication unless one party to the conversation consents. N.C. Gen. Stat. § 15A-287.

See my Legal Guide "Recording Conversations.."

http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/recording-...

In my state, the answer is no. But....

You need a lawyer because I do not practice in NC (I am in Chicago, IL). Check with a lawyer in your locale to discuss more of the details. Like Ohio and perhaps Colorado, North Carolina's wiretapping law is a "one-party consent" law. North Carolina makes it a crime to intercept or record any "wire, oral, or electronic communication" unless one party to the conversation consents. N.C. Gen. Stat. § 15A-287.

Again, check with a lawyer in your locale.

Good luck to you.

NOTE: This answer is made available by the lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney with whom you have established an attorney client relationship and all the privileges that relationship provides. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question.