In NJ can endangering the welfare of a minor, no sexual contact, be expunged? I was convicted in 1994.

Asked about 4 years ago - Trenton, NJ

I hit my son. I served three years probation, fulfilled other requirements. Earned an AAS degree and recently a BS degree. I want a better job/career, but I have the one conviction. Everything I have read said that endangering the welfare of a minor where sexual contact was a factor cannot be expunged. No sexual contact was involved in the charge or conviction. I am certified by the State of NJ as a home health aide, but I cannot get a job slicing meat. I have only the one conviction.

1. Benjamin J Lieberman

Answered . The statute pertaining to Endangering the Welfare of a Child (2C:24-4) is written a bit weird. Unfortunately, however, the statute that would otherwise allow for the expungement of an indictable offense excludes this crime from being expunged and removed from your record (see 2C:52-2(b)).