In NJ, can a parent write their natural children out of their will?

Asked over 2 years ago - Moorestown, NJ

My father died in 2010. He left most of his assest in his will to his wife. His will was never probated in NJ. He was remarried and had 3 step children, I do not know if I have been named in his will and is that legal?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Thomas Devlin Begley III


    Contributor Level 13


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . In New Jersey, a parent can write his or her natural children out of a will and it is completely legal. The only person who has a legal right to an inheritance is a spouse so long as he or she has not waived said right via a prenuptial agreement. If the will was not probated, it is likely that the assets were transferred outside of a will to someone else. Having said the foregoing, you may still have rights. Approximately ten years ago, I won a case where all the assets passes to a stepmother via a joint account and the will was not probated. The will was discovered as well as evidence that the spouse was to divide the assets with the children from the first marriage. Get competent counsel now to review this matter with you to see whether or not you have a claime.

    This response does not constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. It is also not to be... more
  2. Edward Joseph Smeltzer II

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . So long as a person is competent to execute a Will they are free to exclude any or all of their children and can leave their property to whomever they wish. The only person who has a right to an inheritance is a surviving spouse, and that may be limited depending on the State in which the decedent resided.

    Since you would be an heir absent a Will you are entitled to a copy of the Will however it is possible that no assets are controlled by the Will if your father owned all of his assets jointly with his wife or named her as beneficiary on assets directly with the companies holding the accounts.

    Very truly yours,

    Ed Smeltzer

    P.S. – If you found this answer helpful, please click the “Mark as good answer” button below.
    Law Office of Edward J. Smeltzer II
    180B Tices Lane, Suite 103
    East Brunswick, NJ 08816
    Phone: 732-246-3131 Fax: 866-824-4779

    This answer was prepared for educational purposes only. By using this site you understand and agree that there is... more
  3. James Edward Schroeder III

    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . Yes a parent can write a child out of their will if the are competent at the time of drafting.

    Was your father a resident of New Jersey when he passed?

    Are you certain there was a will?

    If he was a resident of New Jersey and there was a valid will that you can somehow obtain you should bring this to an estate/probate attorney and let them review the situation for you. You may have a cause of action.

    Jim Schroeder is licensed to practice law in New Jersey and the District of Columbia. All information provided... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,231 answers this week

3,158 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,231 answers this week

3,158 attorneys answering