In NH, is it legal for a person to record a phone conversation using their cell phone?

Londonderry, NH |

A friend recorded a phone conversation between the two of us without informing me. I offered him money to drop charges against me, he accepted, and took the money. He then went to the police and gave them the recording. I have been charged with witness tampering. Is this legal?

It probably doesn't matter now whether the initial phone conversation was legally recorded or not. From the facts, as you describe them, the charge is for witness tampering, not the initial crime.

This is an advertisement for legal services. No commentary on this website is intended to be legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is created by using this site. Readers are encouraged to call Attorney Buck for a consultation at 603-635-4090, or seek a referral to an attorney by contacting the NH Bar Association at Attorney Buck is online at

I'm not being charged with the original crime. I am being charged with witness tampering because of a recorded phone conversation.