In new york state what age can a child decide which parent they want to live with.

Asked over 2 years ago - Delhi, NY

what age can my daughter decide which parent she wants to live with.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Mary Katherine Brown


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . In New York, and in all states, an unemancipated child does not make such decisions unilaterally, nor would it be proper to put a child in a situation where they feel the full weight of the decision is on their shoulders. Generally speaking, when a court must make a custody decision the expressed wishes of children at any age will be considered with greater weight being given the wishes of older and more mature children.

    Ms. Brown may be reached at 718-878-6886 during regular business hours, or anytime by email at: marykatherinebrown@... more
  2. Virginia Giselle Alvarez

    Contributor Level 16

    Answered . At the age of 14 the children's reference is given more weight. This does not mean it is automatically do but rather that it will be weighed with best interestd

    The above answer does not constitute an attorney client relationship and/ or retention of counsel. This answer is... more
  3. Ronald Lee Bell


    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . I am not aware any state that leaves it up to the child.each state may differ as to wether and what age a child can express their desires. Contact local counsel to consult

    Contact local consel

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,526 answers this week

2,850 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,526 answers this week

2,850 attorneys answering