In new york state what age can a child decide which parent they want to live with.

Asked about 2 years ago - Delhi, NY

what age can my daughter decide which parent she wants to live with.

1. Mary Katherine Brown

Pro

Answered . In New York, and in all states, an unemancipated child does not make such decisions unilaterally, nor would it be proper to put a child in a situation where they feel the full weight of the decision is on their shoulders. Generally speaking, when a court must make a custody decision the expressed wishes of children at any age will be considered with greater weight being given the wishes of older and more mature children.

2. Virginia Giselle Alvarez

Answered . At the age of 14 the children's reference is given more weight. This does not mean it is automatically do but rather that it will be weighed with best interestd

3. Ronald Lee Bell

Pro

Answered . I am not aware any state that leaves it up to the child.each state may differ as to wether and what age a child can express their desires. Contact local counsel to consult

Contact local consel