In NEW YORK state, would an unpaid speeding ticket result in "contempt of court" charges?

Watertown, NY |

I know that unpaid speeding ticket would result in license suspension in the state of NY but would they also slap a "contempt of court" charge on top of it?

1. No but some areas might enter a money judgment against you.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at Eric@RothsteinLawNY.com. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

2. If there is a license suspension and you drive after that time, then it would be a criminal matter and a contempt of court charge may be added. Simple solution pay the fine or appeal the decision.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or www.mynewyorkcitylawyer.com.

3. Only if a judge feels he/she has a legitimate reason to do so.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
    Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
    Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
    1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
    Garden City, NY 11530
    516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)
    Jlopiccolo@hbclaw.net

I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.

4. All of the answers are correct. Depending on the underlying offense and jurisdiction a warrant may be issued for your arrest and your license may be suspended.

When responding to questions posted on Avvo, I provide a general purpose response based on NY law as I am licensed in NY. In reviewing my response, you are specifically advised that your use of, or reliance upon any response I provide is not advisable. I do not have all relevant background details or facts related to your issue / matter, thus I am not in a position to give you legal advice. Further, your review, use of, or reliance upon my response does not establish an attorney-client relationship between us nor does it qualify as a legal consultation for any purpose. For specific advice regarding your particular circumstances, you should consult and retain local counsel.

5. Not in my experience. It will however result in a license suspension and a $70 suspension termination fee.

This is not legal advice. If order to give you legal advice i would need to see the Tickets and talk to the court first. Good luck:)

State, local, and municipal law topics