In New York State, when sentenced for a Class C felony, does the probation portion of a sentence run concurrent with jail time?

Asked over 1 year ago - New York, NY

Convicted of 2 Class C felonies, received a sentence of flat 3 1/2 years to be served concurrent on each charge plus 5 years probation. I read somewhere that a 5 year probation was mandatory for all NYS felonies, and always runs concurrent with jail time. Is this correct?:

Felonies- a judge can sentence a person to jail and five years probation to be served concurrently. (if probation and jail are imposed, probation is always served concurrently with jail time. Thus, in essence, time served is considered time on probation.) Upon release from jail, the person completes the balance of the five year probation.
Notes: If a person is sentenced to more than 6 months in jail, then according to the law, no probation can be imposed. This applies regardless of the degree of the felony."

1. Howard A. Schwartz

3

Answered . The sentence was probably 3 1/2 years in jail with 5 years of post release supervision. This is different than probation and the five years does not start running until the person is released from jail.

2. Eric Edward Rothstein

3

Answered . I think you mean Post Release Supervision. It starts after release from jail.

3. Joseph A Lo Piccolo

2

Answered . It's post-release supervision, also known as parole. It runs consecutive and not concurrent and 5 years is not mandatory for a 1st offense.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
    Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association
    Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
    1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
    Garden City, NY 11530
    516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)
    Jlopiccolo@hbclaw.net

4. Stephen Charles Cooper

Pro

1

Answered . The word "plus" should answer your question. He relly received 5 years post realease supervision , which is basically the same thing as probation but is really a type of parole.

5. Ronald Steven Nir

1

Answered . The sentence is for a flat 3 1/2 year sentence of which 85% must be served. The five years is post release and is not concurrent. It is an additional 5 year period of reporting upon being released from corrections.

The advice I have given does not bind the parties in any manner and is merely given as a courtesy.