In New York, Westchester county..I am employed as a driver and helper, roofing company. Employees arrive at 7:00 am..

Asked about 1 year ago - Bedford, NY

However, I and most (If not all of the employees) are paid starting at 8:00 am. We work a six day work week. (Monday-Saturday). Along with not paying the employees overtime time and a half pay, after 40 hours. We are paid starting 8:00 a.m. Although we are still not technically at our job site and "working" we still are required to arrive at 7:00 am daily at our roofing company garage. For attendance, and if we need to move a material(s)around from and or to the vans or truck. Meanwhile, the owner/ employer may be at his office deciding what location(s) he will send his work crew(s). I as a driver, may leave around or by 7:30 a.m.
Should we still be getting paid from the time we arrive to our employer, job garage? From 7am on? Is our employer breaking any employment labor laws?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Vincent Peter White

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Yes, it sounds like you should be paid for that first hour in the morning as well as your overtime. Sit down with an experienced employment attorney to learn more about your rights and remember, the consultation for this kind of work should be free and the attorney should charge you no more than 33% of what he or she is able to obtain for you.

    This answer does not constitute legal advice and you should contact an attorney to confirm or research further any... more
  2. Arthur H. Forman


    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . This is known as "off the clock" time and is frequently abused. You are entitled to overtime pay after 40 hours per week, from the time you are required to show up, even if you do not start work until later.

  3. John P Corrigan

    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . Your employer is violating the Federal law known as the Fair Labor Standards Act (aka "FLSA"). You could bring an action for all prior back pay and overtime as well as attorney fees and punitive damages as well. I recommend you seek out an employment lawyer and consider your options.

    My answer is not intended to be giving legal advice and this topic can be a complex area where the advice of a... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,560 answers this week

3,158 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,560 answers this week

3,158 attorneys answering