In New York, can a 17 year old move out of state without parental consent?

Rome, NY |

I have a job, plenty of money, and can provide for myself. I also have an apartment with my 18 year old boyfriend waiting in South Carolina. I'll be purchasing a car in march and am planning to leave by july. Is there any way I can leave without getting my boyfriend or I into legal trouble? If leaving is considered "running away" and I call in with my parents every 3 days can they still consider me missing? I can't stand to live with my parents any longer , they don't even want me to keep my job and be responsible. I refuse to live like a scum of society. I feel that getting involved with the law will just be pointless considering my age. Is there any way I can go about this?

Your parents only have what is in your best interest. In any event, a court can legally declare you emancipated if you are under 18 and have sufficient means to provide for yourself. As for intimacy with your 18 year old boyfriend, the age of consent is 17 in NY. I do not know about South Carolina.

www.estrellalawyer.com

The answers posted herein are not legal advice and no attorney-client relationship exists. Call for a free 20 minute consultation! THE ESTRELLA LAW FIRM, P.C. “LEGAL REPRESENTATION AND CONSULTING SERVICES THAT GO THE EXTRA MILE” -- Jeffrey J. Estrella, Esq. Licensed Attorney and Counsellor At Law/Abogado y Licensiado Licensed in New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut The Estrella Law Firm, P.C. 75-20 Astoria Boulevard, Suite 170 Inside The Bulova Corporate Center Jackson Heights, NY 11370 T. (347) 628-2391 F. (718) 672-4728 E. Estrella.Jeffrey@gmail.com www.EstrellaLawyer.com

Try asking a family law attorney what steps you need to take to become emancipated.

All answers are for information purposes only. Answering this question or any future questions does not form any attorney-client relationship. Be mindful, that answers are limited by the limited facts presented by the questioner and are not meant to take the place of competent legal advice by an attorney fully informed of all the facts surrounding your case. However, be aware that nothing posted in a public forum such as this can be deemed confidential or privileged communication.

Leaving your parents home may be an issue. If you want to emancipate yourself, file a petition in family court and ask to be emancipated.

Child custody topics