In New Jersey, is a landlord required to provide a tenant with an oven or a refrigerator? Someone told me it was either/or.

Millville, NJ |

My oven has been broken for maybe a month now, the landlord sent someone to fix a leak for the downstairs tenants and said they would look at the oven too. So he fixed their leak and messed up our plumbing. The water stands in the tub. (It's an old tub that had nice original fixtures which are now replaced with cheap "made in china" ones, just to note.)He said he would be back the next morning with a new oven and to fix the plumbing. He never showed, so my boyfriend called the landlord. She said now they're going to call a professional plumber and I guess we have to wait until they find someone cheap enough. He was here on Friday, today is Sunday. No oven, though. The oven was here when we moved in, the fridge is ours. We have a small child as well, and I prefer to cook not microwave.

From what you say, it sounds like you habitability issues with the unit. You need to give the LL notice of the problems and a reasonable time to repair. Read your lease and make sure you serve notice in compliance with those provisions. If the landlord does not remedy the issues, after expiration of the time to do so, escrow a portion of the rent. This will either prompt a suit for eviction in LL/T court or action on his part to fix the problems. The court will require you post the escrow with the Court clerk.

Landlord-tenant topics