In NC, was in a resort pool after hours, charged with trespassing and resisting/delaying an officer in an investigation. Lawyer?

Wilmington, NC |

I work on a resort island and was swimming with some friends after hours in a resort pool clearly marked with its hours, though we were initially invited into the pool area by some guests of the resort. They left before the police came, so it was just us. I told the officer I was staying at a rental house, though I live in the employee dorms on the island. When asked for my personal information, I gave it to him correctly the first time. When he read my name back to me it was clearly misspelled, however I did not correct him. When he called in my name for a background check I corrected him, and he asked me to admit that I lied to him about my name, which I admitted. I was very nervous and was concerned about losing my job, though am now more worried about my record. Should I get a lawyer?

Yes. Simply yes. Your record is way too important to risk going to court without one.

Thank you so much, do you think I can get the charges dropped? I have no record prior to this and will be getting a background check for a job I am interviewing for.

Ernest Clarke Dummit

Ernest Clarke Dummit

Feel free to email me outside of this list and I can discuss the details with you personally

It is going to be very helpful to get counsel. Ant time resisting officer is charged, the district attorney is on high alert and having an advocate to explain the situation will immensely improve your chances for a positive outcome.

Answers given on this site are intended to be general in nature and do not create attorney-client privilege. Minick Law - 828-333-5024

Yes! Hire an attorney! You may have a good result with one and record for life without one.

Call Trial Attorney Dustin RT Sullivan at (910) 508-2200 or visit us at to find out more.

Yes you should obtain an attorney.