In N 400 application when they ask have you ever been to jail or prison. what does it mean?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Chicago, IL

I was arrested for class A misdemeanor. It was midnight firstly police took me to police station and then police transfered me to a facility where they took my picture and finger prints. And put me in jail, I was told that they have to forward my fingerprints and get clearance to release me. I was released in 2-3 hours. So it was not a time sentence in jail or anything like that, so should I answer yes or no to above question.
Thank You

1. F. J. Capriotti III

8

Answered . The answer to the question is yes ... give a full explanation and provide a government certified copy of all the records.

2. Stephen D. Berman

5

1

Answered . The question is indeed ambiguous so you should err on the side of caution and disclose everything.

3. Ala M. Hamayel

7

Answered . The answer is yes. And you must provide certified documents of what happened. Good luck!

4. Dhenu Mitesh Savla

Pro

5

Answered . Hello, I agree with my colleagues that you must answer yes. Luckily I have written a blog post on the topic of naturalization and the types of things that are screened when you apply for it. You can find it here: http://www.swagatusa.com/archives/776

Good luck!

Dhenu Savla, Esq.
    SwagatUSA, LLC
    www.swagatusa.com/attorney

This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not meant to be relied upon as legal advice.
  5. Hassan Minhaj Ahmad

6

Answered . That's an easy one. The answer is yes. My colleagues are correct. I would add also that failure to disclose that arrest would be a misrepresentation that would get you in trouble. So: disclose it and suffer no ill consequences, or fail to disclose it, and risk a finding of misrepresentation (since they will find evidence of the arrest after they fingerprint you).

Moreover, I wouldn't try to file that N-400 on my own, if you had a question about such a basic issue. Your citizenship is an insurance policy on the life you've built in the US. Do it right and get a lawyer to help you.

6. Marianne Rahm

6

Answered . You should answer yes. You should consult with an immigration attorney before you file your application with USCIS as the charge and disposition may affect your eligibility for US citizenship.

7. Sonya Nicole Campbell

4

Answered . You were detained, so yes, you have been to jail before. Length of time is not the issue here.

This response in no way establishes attorney/client privilege or relationship.