In my divorced case we had settlement conference to resolve marital house issue and in court my ex agreed she will keep house

Asked 10 months ago - Gaithersburg, MD

In my divorced case we had settlement conference to resolve marital house issue and in court my ex agreed she will keep house and house will not go foreclose there for I signed quit claim deed but she did not paid anything to lender and house went to foreclosed.
Tell me how what are my options from now and how you can help me in this case.

1. Brandy Ann Peeples

Pro

3

Answered . A court can award possession of the marital home to one party or it can order the house sold and the proceeds to be given to both parties. A court cannot order someone to pay a mortgage or change or alter the financial obligations of either party to third party lenders. If your name is still on the mortgage loan, then you are still legally obligated to the lender for payment of the debt.

Without seeing the terms of your marital settlement agreement, it is impossible to give you a specific answer to your question. Moreover, it is unclear as to the status of the foreclosure proceedings.

2. David Raymond Mahood

Pro

1

Answered . When you signed the Quit Claim Deed, you gave up much of the control over the house that you could have exercised. If you are on the mortgage as a borrower, then you have the obligation to pay the loan, but you have no ownership rights to the house.

Whether an attorney can help you depends on all the facts regarding the words in your Divorce Judgment, and all the surrounding facts of the foreclosure and this case. I recommend you consult with an attorney for detailed legal advice after you give him/her all the facts and the relevant legal documents.