In minnesota if I'm. On probation for a misdemeanor and get charge with a felony charge can I still post bail?

Asked over 1 year ago - Saint Paul, MN

The reason I ask is because I'm in probation and someone is trying to charge me with sexual assault which is not true and I have evidence plus she reported this a month later but I have to meet wth police to give my statement. And lawyer maybe I will get charged but can fight it and win cuz I got proof.

1. Andrew M. Leone

5

1

Answered . Is it possible to get bail? Yes. However, it will be up to the judge to decide if, and what amount, to issue bail. Given the new charge is sexual assault (criminal sexual conduct) it is likely the bail amount could be high. I suggest you speak with an attorney. Your criminal history will also come into play when the judge is making the decision.

I hope you find this info helpful. Let me know if I can be of assistance.

Thanks,

Andrew Leone
    Leone Legal, PA

612-356-2529 (call/text)
    leonelegal@gmail.com

www.LeoneLegal.com

2. Thomas C Gallagher

3

Answered . It is generally a bad idea to meet with police or otherwise give a statement or talk to them. Instead, meet with a criminal defense lawyer about protecting your rights and avoiding statements to police. If you are charged with a crime, yes bail or other conditions of release will be set by the court. It is possible that a new charge could be alleged to be a violation of a condition of your current probation, but that is a small problem compared to a sex crime charge. It's time to seek representation from a criminal defense lawyer experienced in defending sex crime claims.

3. Maury Devereau Beaulier

3

Answered . Bail and/or conditions of release would always be set in a felony case. The issue is at what level with that bail be set. that depends on many factors including the nature of the offense. A probation violation, however, could result in a warrant for your arrest where you could not be released unless or until you appear on the probation violation matter as well.

A criminal sexual conduct offense is extremely serious. You should consult with an experienced attorney before you make any statements about the case to law enforcement or others.

I have over 21 years of experience in criminal defense matters. For a consultation call 612.240.8005 .

4. Frank Mascagni III

2

Answered . You need an experienced criminal defense attorney ASAP. Don't talk to the police WITHOUT YOUR ATTORNEY, or without his/her consent. If you are on probation, a new charge/arrest could expose you to a motion to revoke your probated sentence. Review the terms of your probation with your attorney.