In Minnesota, do I need to go to court to change my name back to my maiden name?

Asked about 1 year ago - Eden Prairie, MN

I have been a widow twice and I would like to go back to my maiden name

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Matthew Thomas Majeski


    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Yes, you need a court order. As counsel stated, it's a fairly easy procedure to name change in Minnesota.

    Disclaimer: This email message in no way creates an attorney client relationship between Majeski Law, LLC and the... more
  2. Dana Carrie Rindahl

    Contributor Level 9

    Answered . Yes. It's a fairly easy process. I have placed a link below to the court forms that will need to be filed. An attorney would likely make the process more comfortable for you, but you would likely be able to file the forms by yourself.

    Dana C. Rindahl is an attorney/partner at Perez & Rindahl Law, LLC. We are located at 842 Raymond Avenue, Suite... more
  3. Judy A. Goldstein

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Name change is a separate court proceeding. Yes, you need to go to court. The process is simple.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,208 answers this week

2,699 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,208 answers this week

2,699 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary