In Massachusetts - What should one do when a victim keeps trying to contact you when you received a 209A no contact order.

Asked about 1 year ago - Cambridge, MA

I am an abuser in an assault/battery/domestic violence case and was given a 209A protection order against me to not contact the victim. Few weeks later the victim contacted me, and I stupidly responded. Now the victim keeps harassing me about getting back together, even though I say I am not interested in doing so. Do they still have the power to have me arrested. I'm afraid that by upsetting him that he will call the cops. What can I do to protect myself? The case is still pending trial.

1. Dominic L. Pang

2

Answered . Preserve any records of calls or texts from the holder of the order, to be used in a motion to vacate the 209A order. Do not reply to anything the plaintiff says or texts. Talk to your attorney on your pending case about obtaining the plaintiff/alleged victim's phone and text records from her phone provider for impeachment at trial.

Best of luck,

Dominic L. Pang (617-538-1127)

2. Henry Lebensbaum

1

Answered . file a motion to vacate the 209A order citing the contact, you can also contact the police regarding the harassment.

Contact a lawyer

3. Estela Matta

Pro

Answered . I agree with my colleagues: keep records of any contact you receive from the alleged victim; do not respond further to any contact; ask your present attorney to retrieve the records of the text and calls for use in your trial; file a motion to vacate the 209A RO assisted by the record of contact from the victim to you. Good luck.

4. Katrina Louise Smith

Pro

1

Answered . Hire an attorney asap to safeguard your interests. As previously mentioned, keep a record of your phone logs and text messages and do not reply to anything the alleged victim sends you.