In Massachusetts - What should one do when a victim keeps trying to contact you when you received a 209A no contact order.

Cambridge, MA |

I am an abuser in an assault/battery/domestic violence case and was given a 209A protection order against me to not contact the victim. Few weeks later the victim contacted me, and I stupidly responded. Now the victim keeps harassing me about getting back together, even though I say I am not interested in doing so. Do they still have the power to have me arrested. I'm afraid that by upsetting him that he will call the cops. What can I do to protect myself? The case is still pending trial.

1. file a motion to vacate the 209A order citing the contact, you can also contact the police regarding the harassment.

Contact a lawyer

Criminal Law (all misdemeanor & felonies in District and Superior Courts), Drunk Driving and Drug arrests, Sex Offenses, SORB, Crimes involving Violence or Theft, Domestic (Divorce, Child Custody, Alimony and Child Support) and Family Law (Modification, Contempts & Paternity), Juvenile Law, Domestic Violence and Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury claims, Probate Law (Guardianships, Conservatorships & Estate Administration) and Legal Malpractice. For these and other areas, contact me. NOTE: This preceding message DOES NOT create an attorney-client relationship. It is not a protected or confidential communication. The statements made herein are not to be interpreted as representations or warranties of any kind. No reliance should be placed on the statements made herein. It is recommended that the recipient(s) should undertake their own research to reach their own opinion. The writer does not accept professional responsibility on this matter. TO CREATE an attorney-client relationship REQUIRES a signed retainer/fee agreement along with a retainer fee that must be received by my office.

2. Preserve any records of calls or texts from the holder of the order, to be used in a motion to vacate the 209A order. Do not reply to anything the plaintiff says or texts. Talk to your attorney on your pending case about obtaining the plaintiff/alleged victim's phone and text records from her phone provider for impeachment at trial.

Best of luck,

Dominic L. Pang (617-538-1127)

Disclaimer: This answer is provided for informational purposes only and it is not intended as legal advice. Additionally, this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you wish to obtain legal advice specific to your case, please consult with a local attorney.

3. Hire an attorney asap to safeguard your interests. As previously mentioned, keep a record of your phone logs and text messages and do not reply to anything the alleged victim sends you.

Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship. You should seek a full consultation with a licensed attorney before relying on any advice offered through this website

4. I agree with my colleagues: keep records of any contact you receive from the alleged victim; do not respond further to any contact; ask your present attorney to retrieve the records of the text and calls for use in your trial; file a motion to vacate the 209A RO assisted by the record of contact from the victim to you. Good luck.